Do Prepaid Cards Work on Instacart?
In layman's terms - Yes, you can use a prepaid card with Instacart. Have a few dollars on your available balance when first adding your prepaid card to Instacart. Instacart will deduct a few cents up to a dollar from your card to ensure transactions can take place.What is Instacart?
Founded by Apoorva Mehta, Max Mullen, and Brandon Leonardo on June 2012, Instacart is a grocery delivery and pick-up service. Instacart allows consumers to purchase groceries, household items, and more from local supermarkets. Items ordered are then dropped off directly at the consumer's door or become available for pick up.
How Instacart Work For Shoppers
I Was Able to Use My Serve Prepaid Card on Instacart
Instacart website and mobile application is simple to use. Here's a step-by-step guide how Instacart works for shoppers (not Instacart drivers).
1. Visit Instacart official website at www.instacart.com or download their mobile app (Android or IOS).
2. Enter your current address or zip code. Instacart will check your address to see if your area is eligible for service.
3. Create an account (or log in if you already have an existing account). I created my account by logging into Google because it was super fast.
4. Add a payment method to your account. Click on your username. A drop-down menu should appear. Click on "Your Account" and then choose "Payment Methods." If you are on a desktop, the payment method option will be on the left menu. Add your prepaid card information. You should be all set! Navigate back to the home page and proceed to the next step.
5. Choose a store where you want to shop. Instacart allows you to choose from a list of local retailers, from grocery chains such as Giant, Save-A-lot, Key Foods, Food Lion, and more! Although Instacart is primarily a grocery delivery service, the company allows users to purchase non-food items such as alcohol, clothes, pet, and specialty items.
6. Let's start grocery shopping. Unlike walking into a supermarket, you can comfortably shop at your own pace. Instacart users can view nutrition information, compare shops and leave notes for the Instacart driver. The negative of online grocery shopping is you never get the complete list of products available that are in-store. Once you've added all the desired items to your shopping cart, proceed to checkout and place your order.
7. Choose your Delivery time. Schedule the day and time you wish to have your groceries delivered. Instacart usually operates between 6 A.M in the morning until 8 P.M at night. Typical delivery time takes 2-3 hours.
8. Deciding to tip your Instacart driver is optional. By default Instacart chooses a 5% tip based on the total order amount.
9. Place your order. Please have $20-$30 above your total order amount available on your prepaid card balance. Instacart requires this additional amount to cover the cost in case your replacement items are more expensive or if you add other products later. For example, my total amount due was $50. However, Instacart notified me that a $65 hold would be placed on my prepaid card. If your Instacart driver can get all your groceries without spending above the order amount, the additional hold amount will be returned to your prepaid card.
Below are a series of screenshots of my transaction activity and explanations. It's important to note I previously attempted to use the same Serve prepaid card and could not complete a transaction on Instacart in 2018. In 2020, Instacart started allowing users to pay for their groceries using a prepaid card.My Instacart Order Was Placed
I ordered a few items from Save-A-Lot supermarket, which is by far one of the best grocery stores to buy from if you are looking to save money and are on a budget.
Initially, I was charged $50. As my Instacart driver was shopping, one item was replaced with a cheaper brand, and another was out of stock. The total amount I ended up paying was $43.49. The $30 placed on hold was released after a day.
Proof of Instacart Delivery
Instacart driver Willie was prompt and quick. I ordered same-day delivery groceries and was satisfied with the service. Throughout the entire process, Instacart notified me where my delivery was.
Voila! My Order Has Arrived